ABOUT BHAI SAHIB
Bhai Sahib Satpal Singh
Satpal Singh Kohli, popularly known as Bhai Sahib Satpal Singh, the torchbearer of all the campaigns of Sikhism in the Western Hemisphere, is working hard to fulfill his eternal mission of propagating the truth of life in the world. His life is an open book inspiring thousands of people to walk on the path of spirituality. His boundless spiritual intellect is a result of his continually evolving perceptions, knowledge, and sagacity. He is a guiding light to many people around the world who have been lost in the darkness that prevails in the world.
Bhai Sahib Satpal Singh is a kind-hearted soul spreading love, joy, and enlightenment in the atmosphere around. Born and brought up in South India, Bhai Sahib moved to New Delhi and further to California, leaving his adorable footsteps behind. Apart from excellence in academics, he proved his ability in sports as well as an international business before entering the spiritual life and the quest for truth. Today, he travels all over the world, especially the USA, to propagate the moral teachings of Guru Nanak Dev and world peace.
Birth and early life of Bhai Sahib Satpal Singh
Bhai Sahib was born in Madras City of Southern India on August 1, to Sardar Malik Singh Kohli and Late Sardarni Rajinder Kaur. He completed his high school from Summer Fields School in New Delhi and his Bachelors in Science from St. Stephen’s College in the same city. His excellence was not only limited to academics, but Satpal Singh Kohli also showed up to be best at hockey, running, and table tennis. Joining NCC (National Cadets Corps), he acquired outstanding discipline, leadership skills, and personality, along with the virtuous perception of selfless service. Thus, he turned out as an excellent, well-groomed all-round personality with significant proficiency in sports, academics, and magnificent leadership skills.
Career and Marriage
In 1978, Satpal Singh Kohli headed to the USA, where he took up various courses on accounting, business administration, finance, etc., from Santa Fe College and California State University in Los Angeles. He married in New Mexico in July 1978. The couple was soon blessed with two daughters.
Soon after the marriage Satpal Singh Kohli with his wife moved to Los Angeles, California, where he ventured into the business and became a partner in GRD Enterprises. He expanded the firm’s business from a marketing enterprise in Los Angeles to numerous arenas and soon the firm served as a travel agency, international trade handlers, suppliers of beauty products, school, and business-related products, Importer for oriental carpets in the USA, check-cashing business, food product importer, and direct mail advertiser.
Further, in 1986 he started business in Canada. He ventured into the business of chocolates and candies, where he was involved in the manufacturing and distribution business of products based out of Montreal and Toronto. Parallel to this, he tied up with top Indian property developers and started SPI real Estate International to expose these Indian brands to the market of the USA and Canada. Moving ahead in real estate, he tied up with the Pacific Group of Companies and engaged in the hospitality business in Las Vegas, Nevada along with an owning a fine dining restaurant at Rio Casino and Hotel.
Soon after his marriage and business ventures, Satpal Singh Kohli’s spiritual journey began with his involvement with Sikh Dharma, 3HO, and various other organizations. He became a certified Kundalini Yoga Teacher turned his life to a noble path of love, service, and spirituality. Kundalini Yoga is a set of practices involved in the awakening of Kundalini, the dormant energy in the body. Research centers have also been established to study this ancient yoga practice in different parts of the world.
After Yogi Bhajan passed away in 2004, Bhai Sahib dedicated his life to spreading the message of Guru Nanak all over the world and started traveling and giving lectures in various parts of the world. He helped translations of Japji Sahib, Siri Guru Granth Sahib in Spanish, and other spiritual Banis mentioned in the Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. He worked on preaching the Sikh religion essence along with the ancient technique of Kundalini Yoga to make people aware of the true meaning of life.
Bhai Sahib’s service to the world
Currently, Bhai Sahib is involved with many organizations, including many world peace and interfaith organizations, United Nations programs on clean water and sanitization, and several humanitarian projects in various parts of the world.
His duties and roles include:
- Bhai Sahib serves as the Chairman of Guru Ram Das Sikh Mission of New Mexico, America
- He serves Secretary International Affairs for Siri Akal Takhat Sahib-Amritsar.
- He holds the position of Director at Miri Piri Academy in Amritsar, India
- Bhai Sahib serves as a Sikh Dharma Minister
- Bhai Sahib is a Peace Ambassador for a South Korean Peace Organization named HWPL, which is an association that works for cessations of the wars in the entire world.
- He serves as an ambassador for the Parliament of World Religions
- Baba Sahib is a member of Global Interfaith WASH Alliance formulated for clean water as well as hygiene
- He is also attached to international organizations like the UN, World Bank, Religions for peace and other community alliances meant for peace.
- He is a KRI certified Kundalini Yoga teacher, teaching this ancient yoga technique to the world.
- He was appointed the Deputy Sheriff in New Mexico
- The government of the Philippines appointed Bhai Sahib as the Knight and he is known as Sir Satpal Singh Kohli
- Bhai Sahib has received an honorary Doctorate Degree in Sikh Theology and is also known as Dr. Satpal Singh Kohli.
Honors and Awards of Bhai Sahib Satpal Singh
- Bhai Sahib attended the Tercentenary celebration at Takhat Sri Hazur Sahib as a representative of Guru Ram Das Sikh Mission of America and Sikh Dharma International.
- Satpal Singh Ji was honored with the title of “Baba Sahib” by the Sikh clergy for his endless efforts for the propagation of the Sikh religion in the Western countries.
- The Jathedar of Patna Sahib Ji (birthplace of Guru Gobind Singh Ji) honored him as the ‘Ambassador of Sikh Dharma.’ This title justifies his endeavor of carrying the Sikh Dharma teachings and spreading them in every part of the world with tremendous grace and dignity. The Jathedars of all the five Sikh Takhats acknowledged his efforts.
- He was appointed as the “Chief Religious and Spiritual Authority of Sikh Dharma in the Western Hemisphere” by the high Sikh Clergy of India.
- In 2007, Bhai Sahib was credited as knighthood as a tribute to his dedicated services to Sikhism
- He attained the robe of honor (Chola Sahib) at Hazur Sahib
- British High Commission in India credited him with an NRI Gold Medal.
Service to Sikhism and humanity by Bhai Sahib Satpal Singh
- It is a blessing of Bhai Sahib Satpal Singh that US congress condemned the security check performed on the Turbans of the Sikhs on Airports
- Bhai Sahib guided the launching of Guru Granth Sahib Tri-centennial in North America in Shabad Guru seminar that was sponsored by Guru Ram Das Mission
- Bhai Sahib often travels to the rural areas in India, especially in the state of Punjab, and works in association with Sikhs and other rural residents to abolish the problems of drug abuse.
- He deals with the youths of Punjab and preaches them the lessons of Sikhism. Moreover, he also works for the issues related to youths, human rights, women, and peace.
Bhai Sahib’s words
“It is my mission and blessing to promote diversity and culture as taught by Guru Nanak Dev Ji… to better facilitate the current worldwide shift in global consciousness from tribalism, instability, and extremism, to harmony, cooperation, and enduring peace. In addition, I welcome and support other organizations that promote the transformation of consciousness as taught by Guru Nanak Dev Ji throughout HIS life and travels.”
-Bhai Sahib Satpal Singh